A month ago we released V1 of the Ommwriter Beta version. We finally got our act together and have just released Beta v2 of Ommwriter. This v2 contains bug fixes as well as a couple of new features that some of you asked for.
1. Word Count: For all of you bloggers, journalists, for whom every word counts.
2. Auto-save. For all those undesirable moments, when Murphy’s Law kicks in. In those desperate circumstances you can now recover most of your lost work (backed up every 3 minutes). In times of need, you will find this file in “Library/OmmWriter/OmmWriterBackup.omm”
If you are technically inclined or just interested in seeing what bugs have been fixed then this list will make a lot of sense to you. Thanks Oriol.
1. Fixed bug with core i7 machines (newest iMacs) where “ffil” font (char counter) fails to load and makes OmmWriter crash at startup
2. Opening a file would not ask to save currently opened file before replacing textview contents. Fixed.
3. Error/confusion prone keyboard shortucts (like + p) removed.
4. Removed 10.5.5 limitation, will now launch on Mac OS X 10.5.0 and beyond.
5. Script font missing a few animations at different sizes (x, r, etc.). Fixed.
6. Script font missing some characters (any two-step input char, like accented chars) when typed in between other chars. Fixed.
7. OmmWriter will now save all files as UTF-8, and will do its best to open/import files with other encodings.
NOTE ADDED 18/12: If you try to open Ommwriter files created using V1, you may get garbled text. Please check out the blog post above for the workaround.
8. Pressing minimize button twice could cause app to disappear and become unreachable. Fixed.
9. Save panel appears twice. Fixed.
10. More detailed “Save before exit” / “Open file and lose changes?” alert panels.
11. Disappearing “Save before quit?” / “Open file and lose changes?” panels when switching to another app without answering to panel question. Fixed.
12. Document scrolls back to top when opening a file.
13. Scrollbar redraw/recalc when deleting text by selection.
14. Scrollbar redraw/recalc when loading a file.
15. Tweaked insertion point to be more precise on different fonts/sizes combinations. Much better!
16. Minimized “CharAnimationLayer transparency ignored” bug on Mac OS X 10.5 by making the CALayer disappear when not in use.
17. Much better user experience when dragging the text box around the edges of the screen. Won’t get trapped as much.
18. Improved typing speed for handwritten/script font. Won’t lag behind as much.
19. “ + TAB” and then “ + Q” when OmmWriter is not in focus on an unsaved document could cause the UI to stay transparent or somewhere inbetween transitions. Fixed.
20. Fixed bug where name cropping (file extension) could occur on the “Save As…” panel.
21. Changed misspelled words attributes (greyed out words instead of red underline).
Happy and creative holidays!